Re: Car Hauler

To: Curt <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Car Hauler
From: Peter Laurinaitis <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
Timely question, I too am looking for an open trailer to pull with a 6,000lb
capacity X5 4.4ltr.  I like the all-aluminum Fetherlites (though aint cheap)
that weigh 1400lbs, and have a 7000lb capacity axles, so can haul up to a
5600lb car (though my suv cant haul that much in total with trailer).  Was
thinking of looking for a used one, and getting the air dam for it, to help
prevent stone chips from hitting the precious cargo (ie, Tiger).  Can someone
talk to whether stone chips to the payload are an issue on open trailers?
Closed trailers like the Haulmarks weigh around 3200lbs to 4000lbs (depending
on the 7k, 10k, or 12k lbs capacity versions), so quickly gets too heavy for
yuppie trucks like my X5 or a Honda, if you add the trailer weight to the car
being towed weight (2500 lb Tiger).  Bummer on that, I need a diesel Dodge
dually...

Also, the Featherlites have a 14' and a 17', so a 13' Tiger fits fine on the
14' trailer, but I am guessing people would suggest the longer trailer for
future options, no?

Peter

--- Curt <choffman9@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> Looking to buy an open car hauling trailer that would be ok to tow with my
> Honda Pilot. It has about a 4000 - 4500 lb capacity. Any recos on what to
> look
> for and what is important to have on a trailer, e.g. electric brakes, flat
> bed
> versus open bottom, etc to haul a Sunbeam or Magnette.
>
> Thanks
> Curt

Peter Laurinaitis
peter.laurinaitis.wg02@wharton.upenn.edu