RE: Front suspension project

To: "'PHILLIP SILK'" <musta32188@msn.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front suspension project
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:19:48 -0500
Phil
        Yes, the welding and reinforcement of the crossmember can be done by
anyone with some fabrication and welding skills, as long there are
directions available to that person.   Tom Hall at STOA in California wrote
up the Tech article for the crossmember but I dont know if that information
is online anywhere now and you definitely need that article on hand.

        You also need the Shop Manual on hand to check the dimensions of the
upper and lower A arms.  You need to see if they are twisted any and to make
sure the fulcrum pin and bushing mounts are aligned OK.

        I would also suggest you inspect the rear spring mounts at this time
for any cracks or weakness.
http://66.175.58.218/tech/Rear_Spring_Mount_Tip.pdf also written by Tom
Hall.

        I personally think the stock spring rate is fine for street and fun
driving.   I also think the stock brakes with metallic pads are fine for
street driving.  I did install Dale's vented rotors which I believe is a
very good upgrade.   This is one of those areas where you have to determine
the level of performance and comfortable driving that fits your needs.

Ron Fraser