Re: LED Bulbs

To: Landcmitch@aol.com
Subject: Re: LED Bulbs
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:51:54 -0700
Their 3W Luxeon bulbs look pretty good. $25 a crack might sound like a
lot but you'll probably never have to replace them. They might also draw
enough current on their own to operate a normal HD flasher. And, unlike
the multi-LED bulb arrays, they use a real constant-current regulator to
operate the LED, which is what you need to actually get proper
illumination and operating life out of LEDs.

3W is only 1/8 what a standard indicator bulb draws, so you're still
getting a lot of benefit (in terms of reduced electrical load) as well
as actually increased brightness over a broad angle. For any LED
replacement it's worthwhile to clean and polish the inside of your
taillight housings. The LED arrays sit inside the cylindrical portion of
the housing, so any light that goes out the side of the LEDs can be
reflected by the cylinder wall if it's clean and shiny.

A few years back I looked at doing a custom multi-LED array to fill out
most of the taillight area for the Tiger or Alpine, but at the time it
was not cost effective (depends on what you think is "cost effective",
but it was about $40 for just the parts, one side). I should check back
and see if prices have changed significantly. Unfortunately a large part
of the cost was for the circuit board, which isn't going to change much
(in a downward direction) unless you get it made in volume in Asia.

Theo