Re: Dale's Springs

To: <Sjhcobra1@cs.com>, <JHef101@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dale's Springs
From: <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:41:01 -0500
The leaf spring and axel describe one arc centered around the front spring
eye.      If you mount the weld on Traction Master bar you create a new arc
based on the front joint of the bar mounted before the front spring eye to
the middle of the axel.  The two arcs are different and will fight each
other causing binding in the rear suspension.

I talked to one Tiger owner who removed the weld on traction bars because it
cracked the floor pan where it was welded.  His was a high mileage Tiger so
that may have been a factor.  I remember seeing a photo of a Tiger with bent
traction bars.  That may have been a case of extreme suspension binding.

Check out a '65 Shelby Mustang and you will see that the traction bars are
mounted on top of the rear axel with the front joint of the bar directly
over the front spring eye of the leaf spring, thus minimizing suspension
binding caused by the traction bar.   Shelby had to cut a opening in a panel
under the rear seat and welded the front part of the traction bar to the
floor pan.  To keep dust and water out Shelby mounted a rubber flap over the
hole with the traction bar inserted through the middle.

I had a Alfa Romeo Spyder with a solid rear axel that was well controlled.
On the axel were two coil springs , tube shocks, two links from the chassis
to the axel, rebound straps and a T- shaped link mounted on top of the axel
with the top of the T attached to the chassis in two places and the other
end bolted to the differential housing.  The drive shaft was splined in the
middle with a bearing mounted in a housing holding it up.  Oh, I forgot the
rubber doughnut between the drive shaft and gear box along with the two
u-joints after the bearing..    Too bad Rootes didn't do something like this
for the Tiger and Alpine.

                                                                    Jeff