Speedometer Trouble

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedometer Trouble
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:23:52 -0700
I had my Tiger speedo fixed, a new cable housing (slightly longer than
the original so I could curve it more,..less strain on the cable) and a
new cable made. I got everything re-installed last week. It worked fine
for a day or so and then the speedo needle started sticking at high
speeds. I loosened the connection to the speedo a bit and it worked for
a couple more days but tonight the needle sticks again. If I jiggle the
cable behind the speedo a bit, the needle falls to "O" mph again, but it
is not reading properly even so. (Won't go above 30 or 40 mph, then
sticks at that speed unless I jiggle the cable behind it).

I took the cable off the speedo and drove a bit to make sure the cable
is turning properly in its housing, and it is. I noticed that the cable
end was pressed very tight into the back of the speedo (probably not
good) and I had to use some leverage to pull it out. This is something
I've never experienced before in taking r & r'ing several Tiger and
Alpine speedos through the years. The inner cable is a custome job as
I've got a 5 speed trans, if that makes any difference.

It looks like it's going to go back into the box to the repair shop
again, but are there any ideas on what may be going on, and is there any
way to fix this myself instead?

Steve Sage
1966 MK1A