Torsen

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Torsen
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:37:32 EST
In a message dated 1/24/2007 10:40:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
theo.smit@dynastream.com writes:

So... is  anyone still making or stocking rebuild kits that include the
internal  gears, or should I just put it back together with a good
quality  (synthetic) oil and drive it?

Hi Theo,
In my experience with Torsen differentials, is they really work great  but
they are not bullet proof when it comes to wear. My recommendation is,  if you
have the gears out of the case, then try to replace the worn ones. If you  just
have the cover off, then flush out the metallic "dust" and refill it with
the good quality synthetic oil.
 You should then keep an eye on it by draining the oil every few  thousand
miles to see how fast the dust appears. If it's like most cars,  it's probably
been running for years without being changed. If you drag  race a lot you
should check the oil more often.

 John Logan