RE: "Silver State" 70 mile race

To: Theo.Smit@dynastream.com, Rollright@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "Silver State" 70 mile race
From: "Robert Bridgeford" <bobbridgeford@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:10:53 -0700
I have run in the Silver State a number of times, but in my C-5 Corvette,
not my Tiger. There are two different courses, one running north from Ely,
one running south. The northern one has more curves and is 70 miles. the
southern one runs  closer to 90 miles.  Races are run at the end of May and
in mid September.  Participation costs between $600 and $1000 depending upon
the class you run in. Classes are speed classes, from 110 mph by 10 mph
increments up to 170, with unlimited as the top class. Cars are inspected
and tech OK'd to run in certain classes. A stock C-5 coupe with a harness
bar and appropriate belts and a fire extinguisher can run up to 160 mph
(which is 30 mph above the class speed, e.g., it can run in the 130 class).
Faster than 130 requires a roll cage and an internal fire extinquisher
system.

Drivers are tested beforehand at Las Vegas raceway and put through a
mandatory driving school. A Competition license is not required.

I'm certain a well prepared Tiger could easily compete. The problems would
be gearing, cooling and longevity.  90 miles is a long long way at something
close to the car's top speed. Differentials overheat, transmissions freeze
up, cooling fails, etc,. etc.

Check it all out at:   WWW.SSCC.US

And yes, many Panteras compete ---but a lot of them break, and two oof them
have burned to the ground.  BTW, there has never been a serious injury at
these races.

Best.

Bob

Bob Bridgeford