Re: Adding Oil to the Tiger Steering rack

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adding Oil to the Tiger Steering rack
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:14:46 -0700
John,
  My recollection (it has been a number of years) is that only one cover is
spring loaded. There are also shims to set the load on that side. Because
the cap is angled it may be (I'm not sure) that "low fluid" is already above
the bottom of the angled opening. If you open the end with the shims, make
sure you put them back in the proper spot. Note: I used a very light coat of
gasket seal with each shim.
 If you proceed, I would recommend to drain the rack, then add the
recommended amount. Because of the bellows action you just can't fill it
"all the way." If it is completely empty adding a reasonable amount of fluid
is better than none, but to do it right the recommended level should be
used. The shop manual shows 0.6 US pints. If the level is low, you might
want to determine why. It may be due to a leak. Finally I used an alloy
wheel style, all metal, threaded valve stem to make a fill access. I used a
gasket punch near the top of the bellows (one side only) and then tighted
down the stem. It allows me the opportunity to fill the rack with a sqweeze
bottle if needed. Obviously this would require removing the bellow.
Tom