Tiger stuck at work -- electrical short?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger stuck at work -- electrical short?
From: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:09:58 -0400
Howdy all:

I would love some help from the collective wisdom.  On my way into work this
morning (warm day -- into the 80s) the modern electronic fuel pump starting
making an alarmingly loud clicking sound, as opposed to the normal annoying
clicking sound it typically makes.  I figured that the heat from the muffler
was finally starting to get to the little pump.  Well, as I pulled into the
office garage, the engine shut off.  I started it, and it idled for a bit, and
then shut off again. When I turned the key again, absolutely nothing happened.
No clicking from the fuel pump, no starter motor, no lights, no horn, no
electrical system of any kind.  I pushed the Tiger into my parking spot, and
contemplated what to do next.  I checked the battery connections, and they
were nice and tight, and I turned the battery cut-off switch to ensure that it
was tight.  All was well.   Fuses were fine.  Then I casually flicked on the
lights, and noticed that they were working, and then I checked all the
electrics and they were suddenly working too!  I tried to turn the engine
over, and the fuel pump started clicking, the engine cranked a couple of
times, and then everything electrical went dead again.

This puzzled me.  So, I checked everything again, couldn't find anything
wrong, and it all remained dead.  I was puzzled, and decided to let it sit.  I
switched the lights on just to observe, and to my utter surprise, the lights
popped on again after a few seconds.  So, I turned the key again, and the
whole thing repeated itself.  I turned the key, the fuel pump clicked, the
engine turned over, and then everything went dead.  Now I'm really confused.
So, I checked the battery connections again, the cut-off switch and then just
let it sit.  Believe it or not, the lights came back on again after a few
moments.  I turned the key, and then the car actually started up and ran.

I assume that the problem is an intermittant electrical short in the fuel pump
brought on by the heat from my muffler.  Any help from the collective would be
greatly appreciated.  I'm planning on driving home (no highways) once it cools
a bit.

Thanks!

Bill S.
2005 Lotus Elise
1968 Triumph TR-250
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1965 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III
www.TR-250.com

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy
you received.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure:  Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required
to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment
hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties
imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

Thank you.