Coolant

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coolant
From: "Tiger man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:37:26 -0600
All these questions floating around about overheating have gotten me curious.

Does anyone use that special antifreeze that contains no water, and you aren't
suppose to mix with water?

If I remember right it was some combination of Ethyl Glycol and the other
non-tox coolant, that gave you a coolant that you didn't add water too, but
had a boiling point >300F at STP.  Heard it was popular with the really old
cars that ran non-pressurized coolant systems.

Don't remember if there was a downside (other than cost), and I don't remember
how well it performed as an antifreeze.

The geek in me has to wonder what the chemical properties of the stuff are,
because regular old Ethyl Glycol, is weird stuff, pure Ethyl Glycol will
freeze easier than when mixed with 50/50 water.  In fact I think 50/50 is
fairly close to that magic point, anymore concentrated, and it freezes easier,
and less concentrated and it freezes easier.

Anyway, just as a note regarding the previous altitude question, I live at
7000 ft, and it is depressing how much power you loose with the lower ambient
air pressure here.  I remember an old rule of thumb of about 3% power loss for
every 1000ft, not sure how accurate that is, but just seat of the pants, you
do loose alot of power at this altitude.

One thing that I didn't hear anyone mention on the previous topic was the fan.
I believe at the lower air pressure at this altitude, your fan is less
effective at pushing or pulling air as well so that can be a problem in stop
and go traffic.

Steve