RE: Cleanng gas tanks

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cleanng gas tanks
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:38:58 -0400
Hi:

Regarding the tanks. Not sure where you are located. If you are east of the
Mississippi then I suggest you send the disassembled tanks (e.g. remove the
sending unit) and the steel connecting tubes to Kwik-Strip in Allentown, PA
see: http://www.hemmings.com/images/pdfs/I73275.pdf

They will chemically remove all paint and rust from the tanks and tubes and
leave them with a thin phosphate coating. When you get the tanks and tubes
back coat the inside with Red-Kote see:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Fuel_Tank_Sealer.html

Before you paint the tanks leave them in the hot sun for several hours to
ensure they are completely dry. If in doubt, use a heat gun around the
seams.

Red-Kote will seal the tanks even if they have pin-holes. If the tanks are
severely corroded, then you will need to fix the holes (e.g. holes larger
than about 1/16 inch). They can be brazed.

Finish the outside of the tanks and tubes with your favorite paint - I use
Rustolem over primer to great effect.

When you reassemble apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the inside of the
rubber hoses before sliding them over the tubes and connecting pipes as it
will make reassembly much easier. Don't tighten the clamps until the entire
assembly is in place.

I also dip the sending unit float in Red-Kote to keep it from corroding,
pitting and filling with gas.

Follow this and your tanks will outlive the car.

Best regards,

Wayne