[Tigers] hydraulic lifter adjustment

To: "Tiger Email List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] hydraulic lifter adjustment
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:06:10 -0700
What's the scoop on rocker arm adjustment on a stock 260 with hydraulic
lifters and standard rocker arms? I'm getting some ticking sounds that come
and go. Sometimes it's pretty audible, other times completely quiet,
especially when cold.

The factory shop manual says to bleed down the lifters, set piston to TDC,
adjust rocker arm nut until lash is taken up (push rod doesn't easily rotate)
and then tighten two more turns. This resulted in very rough running and
difficult idling speed, so clearly they were too tight. At present I have them
at zero lash plus a little bit but am wondering if there is another procedure
that's more definitive.