[Tigers] Speed Week Aug 11 - 17th

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Alpines
Subject: [Tigers] Speed Week Aug 11 - 17th
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <larry.mayfield@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:23:51 -0700
Well, the powers that be, have decided that Speed Week will happen as
planned. Unfortunately, the courses that were going to be used were
unuseable and are still partially under water. So new coourse layouts
are being located and prepared.  The salt is very wet. Make no mistake,
this will not be very much fun for racers. The salt is going to stick to
everything and make a mess. But they are not giving refunds so I will be
going. I will be sitting it out for the first couple of days to see if
improvements to the course happen in terms of drying out.  If so, I will
make what runs I can. Driving on wet salt is dicey.

The trailer is loaded, the truck preped for tow. I have enough stuff in
the trailer to make changes to the Worlds Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe) if I
have to to pass tech. I made a lot of changes this past year and come
could cause me grief, but hopefully not. My plan is to run for about 185
mph and then shoot for over 205. Wet salt may change that plan
drastically however.

There should still be lots of things to see and do for spectators who
want to come and watchg. The gate  fee is cheap and it will let you into
the pits...on foot. Have to be a part of a crew to get to bring your car
into the pits. Should be some interesting vehicles there. At least 2
fuel cell cars that I know of.

If you manage to come up, look me up. Find the Big Red Trailer with the
Spirit of Sunbeam logo on the front and sides (small logo about 2 ft x
15 inches). I will have cold drinks and maybe a Moon Pie or 2 if I can
find them here in Podunk Pahrump.

We will be launching Thursday morning at about 4:30 am just to beat the
Las Vegas traffic though town on I-15. I will have my CB radio on on
channel 22.

Oh, can any of you Tiger or Alpine fans come up with top speeds that
have been driven by Sunbeams? I had heard that there was another Sunbeam
that has gone faster than I am seeking to go (>205 mph). Anybody know or
heard of that?  Any venue...anywhere? I would like to know, My quest may
be over before it has solidly begun, lol...

See ya there

mayf