Re: [Tigers] MSD Ignition

To: Jim Parent <JParent4@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MSD Ignition
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:32:18 -0600
Wally, I think Jim is on the right track with the EMI angle. Definitely
make sure you're using good quality ignition wires and resistor type
plugs. I've used Moroso wires on my Tiger and they were good quality.
Accel (yellow wires with orange boots) came with the car and they sucked
- the wires pulled out of the terminals, despite me taking care to grab
the ends only. In other applications I used NGK wires because they're
simply indestructible. Like the description of the MSD wires in Jim's
note, they have  helical-wound conductors that give EMI suppression with
negligible resistance.

On my Tiger I installed the MSD box in the driver's kickpanel. I wired
the magnetic trigger from the distributor to the MSD by running it
around the passenger side of the engine, through the firewall, and along
the instrument panel. The high-voltage, high current coil wires went
straight forward from the MSD, through the firewall, and to the coil
that I mounted on the front of the left cylinder head. That way the
input and output wires from the MSD never came close to each other. You
definitely don't want to run the trigger wires beside the coil wires for
any distance because you will get misfires.

Also make sure your high-current ground and power connections are tight...

Good luck,
Theo