[Tigers] top frame hinge issues

To: Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Tigers] top frame hinge issues
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:47:48 EDT
From: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)"  <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Top frame  alignment
To: _Rollright@aol.com_ (mailto:Rollright@aol.com)

This is the same problem I had to correct on my car when I installed  the
new top. Over time the roof shrinks and it deforms the rather  flimsy
hinges. I had a friend offer me some spares that appeared perfect  and
when fitted were also bent. To align the rear window edge required  a
significant amount of bending and straightening. As I recall it  required
twisting and bending backward after disassembly and removal of  the
'spring' as I used heat to facilitate the repair. This was before  I
documented my repairs with photos and articles. I would suggest  that
this might be a GREAT thing to document as you repair it. It might  be
even better if we could get a mint one we could create a template  from
and produce a Jig to repair these.

Best  Regards,

Tim Ronak
Services Consultant

Tim,

You hit the nail on the head. Among this winter's projects will be just  this
procedure.

You are right. Probably nearly everybody that has put their top up and down
over the last 40 years has these hinges bent. And they have the same  gap
between the frame and the bottom of the window. A jig to get 'em straight
would
really be a boon. Imagine some enterprising person with a fixing service  one
could send the assembly to. Further, there must be a way to reinforce them  to
eliminate the bending. I'd pay good money for a service like this. It would
eliminate the duct tape on long 'wife accompanied' journeys.  Really tacky.
But you know, I had this problem 30 years ago when I had a new Robbins top put
on. I think they fail really quickly.

BTW: if anything like this service exists, please let us all know so we can
get in line.

Thanks, Tim

Jim  Armstrong
MK 1A  382002083