[Tigers] [Fwd: Re: Generator/Alternator??? (Smit, Theo)]

To: "Tigers@Autox. Team. Net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] [Fwd: Re: Generator/Alternator??? (Smit, Theo)]
From: "William Lau" <mrlau@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:20:51 -0600
Make sure the bushing in the rear tailshaft is good along with your U
joints.  If not the bushing can be pulled out with a tool made for the job
or as a lot of mechanics used to do is push it in and leave it hang on the
shaft because in those days not everyone had the tool and some vehicles were
impossible to get to without taking the unit down.  It won't make noise or
bind up if you leave it in there. I have never done it and it kind of gives
me the willies just thinking about it but it has been done many thousands of
times and works fine. -- Bill --

Speaking of which, what have you guys had out your toploader equipped
tigers?  I've briefy had 100 out of mine but it was too loud and scary
to keep it up for more than one overtaking move.  My shifter vibrates
terribly over about 3000 rpm and 100mph is just over about 4000rpm I
think.   Nothing like as relaxing as cruising at 155 on the limiter in
the audi for 2 hours while the wife is sleeping - and that beast only
has a mild 250hp!

Is that vibration normal or has some previous owner messed up the
mating of the trans to the bell housing?