[Tigers] Field Stripping a Tiger..

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Field Stripping a Tiger..
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 06:29:56 -0800
Well, I am deep into taking the old girl apart for new paint prep and
softgoods. I just have a couple or three things left to do and 2 of them
are a puzzlement. Yeah, me puzzeled for sure. Here the issues are:

1. Side Chrome Strips. As I removed the rear fin Rootes Badges I saw a
teensy tiny little nut (really tiny!) and it anchors the rear of the
last chrome strip. Both sides have this.  Every other fastener I have
removed came off easily; well not this one. I broke the drivers side one
using the teeniest wrench I had. So the big question now is how to
remove the chrome strips for the entire car? How about the ones before
and aft of the Tiger Script? The door pieces and of course, the rear
fender pieces. How, exactly are they atttached to the body? Will I find
more of these tiny jewels lurking in there somewhere or hopefully these
are the only two?  Do the strips slide off or pop off? What is the best
tool if they need to be popped off?

answers? Any other comments regarding the chrome strips?

2. The Window regulators. I need to remove both, I think, because of the
window outside and inside weather strip and anti rattle felt pieces.
Look like they are held on by clips than are inserted upwards to hold
these parts in place. I also need to remove the drivers regulator
because it has developed an issue of over winding and then becoming
unable to retract the window from full up.  Right now I am struggling
with the small glass in front of the main window, especially the two
fasteners at the bottom One is rusted in place and the other is merely
stuck. Any  one have a how to to do this is reasonable fshion? I may
have to break the small bolts and redrill and tap the threaded holes to
get these out. Ok, but don't want to unless I have to.  How aboout it?
Any experienced regulator removers out there?

answers?  Any other related comments?

3. Oh, I almost forgot, the drivers door simply will not close all the
way. Seems to hit someting solid at full closure preventing it from
going deep enough to match the fender line. The other side works
perfectly. I had damaged this one before  so no doubt that is a major
player here. Do the hinges close completely when the door is closed? I
can check that with some foil I guess. But anyway, any ideas on making
the doors fit perfectly?

4. Windshield alignment. Mine seems  tomlean back a bit too much as the
vent window front chrome is just off a bit with the windshield frame.
One of the guys I remember devised a trick method of aligning and not
using the tapered rubber pieces under the frame. Where can I rind that
article?

That'll do for now...

mayf