Re: [Tigers] synthetic gear lube

To: Tiger Email List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] synthetic gear lube
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:17:21 -0800 (PST)
I have used Redline MTL in an older BMW box and had good results as well when
cold. No leakage. I have it in another box, but have not used the car yet.
Oddly it leaks like a sieve, but not due to the MTL. The biggest problem with
Synthetics is they are sometimes too slippery for the synchro's which is
normally may not be an issue with our type of gear boxes but can be. I have a
couple of Porsche 930 gear boxes and I was told NEVER run synthetic in them as
they will not shift well. They rely on friction for the synchro's and the
synthetics are too slippery for them to work. ALSO make sure your not running
anything with friction modifiers (additives) like for the Diff, some products
have them and they have been known to cause issues with shifting due to being
too slippery. That all being said, I'm generally not likely to go out of my way
for synthetic for the gearbox unless I have it. Cruise the web for more info on
the holy war on synthetics in the
 gearbox.

Sandy