[Tigers] ADU

To: "tiger list" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] ADU
From: "Mountjoy" <mtjoy@telis.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:19:04 -0800
Owain,

I believe "ADU" is Cambridge  rather than Coventry as you mentioned.  Until
recently one could go to the local hardware store / auto bits store and order
a plate.  That was so easy.  Then the Brits changed everything and wanted
proof of ownership to the plate one was requesting.  Kind of mucked things up
a bit.

What is it you want the British registration plate for?  Are you looking for
the metal plate or the vinyl adhesive plate?  Are you wanting a matching pair
of plates?  Do the plates you get need to be of "Official British Issue"?  Is
this something for the garage wall or will it (they) be used on a vehicle?

Yeah it's a lot of questions but depending on your responses I may be able to
point you in some directions for solutions.   My car has adhesive vinyl both
front and rear.  I had the owner of the sister car to mine get me plates
before the change in policy.  After some track use the car needed to be
resprayed and that meant I needed more registration plates.  The change in
policy had occurred by then so I peeled off my originals, took them to a sign
place and has them replicated.  They are indistinguishable from the original,
officially issued ones.

In case other Listers (no pun to Brian Lister) are a little foggy on this, the
UK used to have a marvelous vehicular registration system.  This is back when
a plate stayed with a car forever, vanity plates existed and all that. A
geographic area had a set of letters as the prefix of the vehicle registration
plate   A suffix letter indicated the year of registration plate (ideally year
of vehicle).  Then there was a set of consecutive numbers indicating the order
in which a vehicle was registered within a particular year.

In the case of my car, "ADU 180B", the prefix "ADU" represents the area where
the car was registered- Cambridge.  That makes sense since Cambridge is where
Lister's shop was that constructed my car.  "180" indicates my car was the one
hundred-eightieth car registered in the Cambridge area, and the suffix "B"
indicates it was registered in the year, 1964.  Tony Eckford's sister car to
mine is ADU 179B, was registered at the same time, just before mine was.

BTW, vintage tax discs for the year of one's vehicle (like our U.S.
registration tabs) are available.

Darrell
ADU 180B