Re: [Tigers] Rear hub removal-lug bolt problems

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear hub removal-lug bolt problems
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:45:48 -0800 (PST)
 Jim- Im interested in what you find in the lug bolt
replacement. Finding the thread is easy but the
diameter of the lug bolts I found are much larger at
the knurlings that hold the bolts in the axle. Im
considering drilling the axle holes to match the new
bolts BUT I really rather leave them stock. If my
machinist turns them down to stock size(the knurlings)
then there are no knurlings remaining. I suppose I can
always adjust the length to match the wheels Im
running. If I ever sold the car I would want to keep
the 15"minilites- w/ the present value of the $ vs.
the pound, the wheels have gone way up in value. I
rather the dollar was stronger BUT thats another
story- I bent a minilite and used a nice set of
14"wheels but had to have spacers on the rears- the
lug bolts where long enough to get by BUT only if I
carried a torque wrench and retorqued them after every
fill up. The car wasnt driven during the winter and
come spring I forgot to check the lug nuts and lost a
wheel- lucky I was almost at a stop so I didnt damage
anything- it could have been bad if I had been on the
interstate.The wheel can be straightened but I still
want to fix the lug bolts so I can run any wheel I
choose. I searched hard to find the right lug bolt but
had to settle for longer ones that Im having cut off
and I still have the diameter problem- I can send you
a stock lug bolt if you want to try to locate lug
bolts prior to thinking about installing the new ones-
Im forseeing you having the same problem as I did
unless you can find a place that will make custom lug
bolts and if you do, I want the information too,
PLEASE. Thanks and sorry about the long post. ANYONE
with knowledge that will help Jim or myself, PLEASE
post your thoughts. regards, TonytheTiger

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.