Re: [Tigers] The other Hub

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The other Hub
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:05:45 -0800 (PST)
Well it was in the upper 60s today in southern IL. so
I knew I should be at the shop working on the Tiger
and the Harley. Both had very few miles last year and
if possible and with the price of gasoline, both need
driven more. Wish the HD had a 5 speed as I love the
one in the Mk1-- NEways, I jacked up the other side,
set the jack stand, pulled the wheel and worked hard
removing the brake drum. the other side almost fell
off but there is a machined fit on the hub and thats
what was holding it tight. In time I smacked it in the
right place and I was ready to try removing the hub- I
started with a good dose of Kroil oil- the puller Im
using has 3 arms(removeable as well)I wish it had
four, since I had no broken lugs on this side. I got
the two arms tightened equally with lug nuts and
attached the puller. I was planning on torquing it
tight, putting a 75 watt light bulb on the hub and let
the kroil oil work its way inside. The compressor
kicked on, so I knew I didnt have max air for the 1/2"
drive impact but I kept tightening it, even tho it was
almost ready to stop turning the push bolt and it
popped right off. I was elated and although I gave it
a bath prior to closing the shop up, I cant credit the
Kroil oil. The main difference in the puller I used
was I could only use two lug bolts as opposed to a
puller designed to use all four and perhaps if pulling
the axle,four might work better. After 36 years of
Tigering this was the first time I had ever pulled the
hubs. It wont be hard the next time as I guarantee I
will emery cloth everything, make sure the key slides
easily in both key ways and use a good coat of
antisieze prior to reassembly.I had never considered
it but there might be room to have the hub drilled to
fit 5 bolt wheels.Im not doing so on this car but for
racing purposes and the ease of finding 5 lug wheels,
it doesnt seem impossible- the negative is the code I
go by "change anything you want, just so you can
change it back to stock and original". The other
negative is I have no idea what I would do if I needed
another hub or if other Dana rear ends has hubs of
this nature- a good question for anyone who knows what
Dana parts, besides the posi units will interchange
with a Tiger Dana. Some Jags used a Dana rear end as
did some mail Jeeps. I wonder what others we should be
looking for when searching thru pica-parts or
junkyards as they are around here- wish we had
pic-apart places. Regards to the List and if you ever
plan on pulling a hub- I have a puller that works if
you need to borrow it. TonytheTiger