Re: [Tigers] What Ever Happened to .......?

To: "Jeffrey Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] What Ever Happened to .......?
From: "michael king" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:23:43 +1100
On 08/03/2008, Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Check out the March issue of Motor Sport for a interesting article on Tiger
> AHP 295B, the winner of the 1965 Police Rally.  After Rootes was done rallying
> the car, it   was sold to Mike Combe.  Mr. Combe turned it into a circuit car
> which I assume was raced.  Although the article doesn't say where or when.
> Malcolm Sears bought it and developed the car into one of the fastest
> modsports cars in the UK.   The photo in the article shows it with add on
> fender flares to cover the wide tires.  Malcolm was having a very successful
> season when in September 9,  1971 he crashed it at Olton Park.  The force of
> the crash pushed the engine and left front  wheel into the cockpit.  The car
> caught fire and Malcolm was severely injured, losing an eye and and was in a
> coma for three months.  In addition, he was brain injured and stayed in a
> hospital for nine years.
>
> After the crash,  the Tiger's mangled hulk lay rusting under a tarp before it
> was hauled away to Jones's scrapyard in Hertfordshire.  "The Works Tigers"
> list the chassis as b9470015.  According to Norm's book the car is listed as
> owned by B. Van Collier as of 2/91.  The country is listed as SOAF.  Was this
> car restored, there is a license plate listed,  or is it a case of swapping
> vin plates?

Jeff,

IIRC around 1994/5 i heard a story about this car and what you said,
it being written off and crushed. I heard that the family so upset
with the accident had sent it to the crusher. Some time later someone
had a shiney red restored Tiger with a white hardtop and showed it to
Maclom exlplaining they had found and restored his old car, he passed
over the green book or log book (whatever they call the documents in
the UK) and the car was issued with the AHP rego. Not sure if the car
is what it claims or not... but would be interesting to know the
history. Also i'm sure you have all looked through the Norm Miller
site and the issues with another "works" tiger thats currently for
sale.. seems the buyer wouldn ot only be getting a non-works car.. but
also a non-tiger.