Re: [Tigers] Engine Rebuild Experiences Needed

To: Chris Richards <cjrichardsauto@sbcglobal.net>, Bob <bob@hermitagewood.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Rebuild Experiences Needed
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
My first Tiger in 1972 had a 5 bolt 289, a cam some
would consider a bit large and 331 gears. It out ran
stock Tigers with the same 4 barell and 288 gears that
made me think I was the fastest car around and from
stop light to stop light it
ate most 60s and early 70s muscle cars- I would find a
5 bolt 289, since no one would ever know unless they
get down beside the dist. and read the numbers. save
the stock 260 for later resale/value reasons and enjoy
what is now available for a 289. I still have my 5
bolt, bored 30 over and waiting for a Tiger to growl
in again. I revved that engine until I floated the
valves, then missed the next gear, usually second- had
no idea then about rebuilding the stock shifter but
the Hurst competition plus shifter fixed the missing
of gears and I was only 19 years old- no wonder I fell
in love with Sunbeam Tigers and no wonder I think the
5 bolt 289 was/is one of the best engines Ford ever
produced. Float the valves on a bowtie engine, leave
your foot on the floor and miss second gear and see if
anything bends or breaks- it may well not. If for sure
didnt in my first Tiger and I was to young and dumb,
for a while, to back off, shift gears and then put my
foot down again- I promise I missed that gear enough
times the engine should have never stood the
punishment. Yes, Im always listening if anyone
mentions knowing about a 289 setting somewhere, I
would buy another 5 bolt if I never use it.Of course
everyone should put the engine they want in their
Tiger- after all, its you that should be pleased. Good
luck for whomever it was started this string.My next
choice would be a 5.0 HO and then the stroker made by
TandL engineering- the one that is in a Tiger already-
just dont remember who.Good luck with whichever engine
you choose. regards, TTT

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.