Re: [Tigers] !964 Le Mans Tiger Slot Car (sniping)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] !964 Le Mans Tiger Slot Car (sniping)
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:01:51 -0700
I'll add a bit to Theo's comments on Ebay.  The process of sniping is as he
stated. The purpose is to keep the cost down by having others assume the
price won't go higher, then drop in your slightly higher bid at the last
possible second. Even sniping is a mote point if someone bids beyond reason
with an open wallet. Remember Ebay honors the highest amount. So you could
bid $100 on a $10 valued item days before the end. The item could be at $9
two seconds before the auction ends.  At the last second you could slam in a
$50 bid and I would still get the item for $51.  That's just the way it
works.

 I have won I think four auctions literally on the very last second.  That
would include years ago my winning "The Book Of Norman" beating out the
lists own Buck Trippel (sorry Buck). My "perennial bridesmaid" position on
most items shows me I am good at "guesstimating" a good price , but I'm too
cheap to pay more than a good deal.

  Recently it has been brought to my attention that there a companies that
will snipe for you. The fee is very minimal, I thing about 10-25 cents.
They use servers that rapidly check and respond.  So, in the end the method
Theo and I use seems to be dated and slow.  In the future I guess it will
come down to what snipe service can respond to the faster giga-second.
Tom