[Tigers] Intake Manifold Swap Update

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Intake Manifold Swap Update
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 09:47:51 -0700
A month or so ago I posted about maybe changing out my original LAT
Tiger lettering manifold for an Edlebrock RPM Air Gap manifold. I went
ahead and did it three weeks ago and everything seems to be working
great. Thanks to all the excellent help and suggestions made by our
group here when I originally asked about doing it.

I measured everything every way I could figure, and when installation
time for the new one came,  the RPM Air Gap fit with no problem. I
decided to run the after market Edlebrock "triangle" air filter on it
when I'm not at a car show, as I remember from past Tiger dyno days that
it gives more HP than with the stock oval filter. The two changes I had
to make to get that to work were to go from a 1" heat spacer under the
Holley carb to a 1/2" spacer.  I also had to cut off most of the base of
the Edlebrock filter assembly, but with that, everything fits under the
closed hood (just barely, but it makes it). One factor to consider is
that I've been told that the engine may sit higher or lower in
individual Tiger engine bays, so measure carefully before you do the
manifold swap if you're thinking of it.

I haven't had it dyno'd yet to compare, but the "seat of the pants" test
seems to bear out that the change was worth the trouble. The Tiger
definitely revs higher and has a lot more power at mid to higher RPMS,
which is where I am usually running it. When I talked to Edlebrock tech
support before the install they said that the RPM Air Gap flows better
than the non-air gap RPM, for anyone else thinking of a swap. There also
seems to be more torque all along the RPM curve compared to the LAT
manifold. Where before, doing a high speed pass, if I dropped from 5th
into third I'd often "run out of revs". Now it keeps pulling strongly up
to where I decide I'd better not see how high I can rev it before it
blows up.

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.09800
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/