[Tigers] Starting Problem Solved!

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Starting Problem Solved!
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:18:25 -0700
Thanks to all the great suggestions from our list, I have solved the no
start problem with my Holley carb, plus made a discovery that has sped
up the Tiger noticeably.

Dr. Mayf especially nailed the issue. As he suggested (and I think
someone else may have mentioned to look at too) when I took the carb
apart, the accelerator pump vacuum port at the bottom of the metering
block was completely plugged. When I had the carb apart previously I had
used a non-Holley replacement gasket. First off, the hole in the gasket
and the port didn't completely line up. Plus, I obviously over tightened
the bolts when I re-assembled the carb the last time, which forced the
gasket material into the port, eventually completely blocking it. I
completely cleaned everything out of the metering block and the float
bowl and reassembled it, this time with a genuine Holley gasket which
lined up perfectly.

Another thing I noticed messing about was that the aluminum heat shield
I had installed under the carb was not allowing the butterflies to open
fully. I'm going to modify it before the trip to Tigers United but left
it off for now.

Re-assembled, the Tiger started right up, idles perfectly, isn't
stalling, and with the butterflies opening up all the way now, the car
is much faster and revs higher . Obviously what I thought was vapor lock
was instead the accelerator pump not functioning . I'm still thinking of
a better fuel pump but for now, everything is working great.

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.09820
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/