Re: [Tigers] Llooking at a car/restoration and parts $$$..... Part

To: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Llooking at a car/restoration and parts $$$..... Part
From: "Cullen McCann" <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:05:47 -0500
Email 2 of 2.......

In regards to the other items, my Tiger is (or rather will be when done)
a 302 with a 5 speed conversion. I didn't have a motor when I got my car
and originality isn't my concern in regards to cubic inches. I can't
tell you for sure how much it cost to build a 260, but a 302 can be
built here in Oklahoma, professionally by a reputable builder, with
aftermarket hardware, forged pistons, steel crank, balanced and
blueprinted in the mid teens for a shortblock, no heads. There are a lot
of variations of how to build a sbf that will affect cost, but I am
building a fairly stock spec 302 H.O. shortblock( which includes all the
forged pistons and steel crank, roller cam) for that amount or less and
about a grand worth of aluminum heads and your ready to pick an
induction system. You can also just buy a stock type long block from
ford for about 2500-3 grand in a 302. With a motor you can spend 800
bucks on a low mileage take out or 5 grand or more on a keith craft
motor...it will just depend on what you want out of the car. I'm
shooting for a motor built a lot like Tim Ronak's, but I'm a horsepower
junkie. (refer to this month's Tiger Tales newsletter for details)

Again on the transmission, a world class t-5 rebuilt will run you about
800 bucks, and you will need a tail shaft conversion kit from Tom Hall
or stumble through something on your own. I have little to no experience
with rebuilding the factory transmission, I've never had one.

Just my opinion, hopefully it might help for a perpective.

Cullen
1452

Steve wrote:

"......Is there anyplace on the net that I can find prices either firm
or approximate for
parts or restoration or repair. For example I know the car I'm going to
see has a lousy wood dash. How much to replace or refinish ? How much to
rebuild a Ford V8 ? How much to replace a stock carb ? How much to
replace clutch or transmission ? It would be very helpful to have a
better feel than I now have for what various defects will cost.

Thanks in advance