Re: [Tigers] Caught in the act...

To: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Caught in the act...
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:18:43 -0600
The 67 Mustang's had a vin plate that was riveted to the door (which got
removed and rerivited if you ever replaced the drivers door).  They also had
it stamped in the metal in the location shown in the video.  I believe in 68
the new federal standards for VIN numbers was instituted and then they had
the VIN number you could see in the windshield like today's cars plus some
other location (not sure as I am only familiar with the 67).

I've always thought those early mustangs must have easily been chopped up
and resold cars, because of the vin numbers (the one on my car is BARELY
readable to begin with).

There was a news article last year I think how a guy got his Mustang back
after something like 35 years.  It was stolen and resold and the next owner
had it purchased for her from her father as a going to college car, which
she held onto for many years.  I think she even had it restored at one time,
and then she finally decided to sell it and then when someone ran the VIN
number and found that it was reported stolen that many years ago, and they
returned the car to original owner.

 I thought it that report though the VIN number was correct on the new
owners title, so I don't know how the state missed that for so many years.

Steve