[Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Three

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Engine Woes - Part Three
From: "Shaun Laughy" <slaughy@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:47:50 -0400
Greetings, All.

Okay, so I've spent the past few hours getting reacquainted with working
in a Tiger engine bay.  It's true, what they say, about the incredible
ability of the human mind to completely blank out traumatic experiences
from our memories.  I'd forgotten how many pieces have to be taken off
just to get enough room to complete a few simple tasks!

So, here is what I have found so far:

1.    With the timing marks at TDC, the #1 piston does seem to be at
TDC.  Movement either way on the crank seems to only result in the
piston going down.  Therefore, the balancer should be okay.
2.    Again, with the timing marks at TDC, the rotor looks to be
slightly beyond cylinder #1 position, which I guess would reflect the
advance that I have dialled in.
3.    I tried grabbing the rotor and turning it, and it is quite easy to
move it a few degrees in each direction, but not more than that (I don't
want to twist on it too hard).  It seems to me that there is always some
play in distributors, but this does perhaps seem a bit excessive.  Also,
I have always found distributors to be spring-loaded, in that it is
possible to move the rotor a bit, but that it will always snap back into
position as soon as you let go (mechanical advance).  In the case of my
distributor, it will stay wherever it is left.
4.   It is important to take the car out of gear before trying to turn
the engine over by hand.  =)
5.   Cold beer is great on a hot day.

So, seeing as the distributor housing can rotate independently of the
shaft and rotor, my tests do not necessarily eliminate the possibility
that the timing gears/chain have slipped, but I think that this is vary
unlikely.  I've decided to replace the distributor with a vacuum advance
unit while I'm in there, and have decided on a Pertronix billet
distributor.  I found a pretty good deal on it, it is simple to install,
and it doesn't look too drastically different from stock. I also should
never have to worry about it slipping.

That's the progress so far.  I'm doing a compression test and changing
the plugs while I'm in there, and will let everyone know what the result
is when I get it back together.

Cheers,
Shaun