Re: [Tigers] timing

To: "'Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)'" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] timing
From: "Shaun Laughy" <tigerv8@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:31:28 -0400
Hi, Tim.

Well, I HOPE I have found the problem, but won't know for sure for a
while yet.  I had a few hours to work on the car today, and spent most
of it trying to retrieve the spark plug that I dropped down into the
driver's side motor mount.  I bet I'm not the only person ever to do
that...

What I learned today?

1.    Don't drop a spark plug into a Tiger motor mount!
2.    My valve cover bolts were only finger tight.  This likely explains
the occasional drop of oil that I was getting on the garage floor, so I
am happy to find it.  I was also reminded of how hard it is to get at
some of the valve cover bolts on a Tiger.
3.    My radiator is currently held on with only two bolts.
4.    Spark plug wires for cylinder 7 and 8 were run side-by-side, which
I understand to be a bad thing?
5.    Cold beer is really good on a hot day.  Okay, I was pretty sure
about this one already, but I firmly believe in a scientific approach
involving repeated experimentation within a controlled environment.  So
far, my findings have been very consistent...

Don't get the wrong impression -- this is a very solid car with
high-quality components and workmanship throughout.  I am just glad to
have the opportunity to go through it to get to know it better, and
discover the little things that need attention here and there.  Having
fun, but my hands are very sore after working on the plugs today!

I had managed to avoid pulling the radiator so far, but will be doing
that next as I want to put the Ford 6-blade fan back on instead of the
flex fan that was on there.  I have seen the damage these can do when
they come apart -- my neighbour has a big hole in the hood of his '67
Camaro were one blade departed and went right through like it was made
of paper!  I have visions of pedestrians being decapitated whenever I
think about this...

I'm going to try to do some work on it this week, and will keep everyone
posted.

Cheers,
Shaun