Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries

To: gswaybright@yahoo.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] engine ancillaries
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:55:33 -0700 (PDT)
Yes car craft used same bottom ends, just swapped the heads, but the
interesting thing was their idea that they might be able to try to advance the
timing more on an Aluminum head vs Iron thus proving once and for all that it
does do better at reducing hot spots, etc. I think the test and assumption
might have been a bit loose at that point but they made the motor rattle at
the same timing with either aluminum or iron. Still a 'fair' indicator that
not much difference at that compression. I would have loved them to do a 12+:1
motor and see if that might have made something different. One thing I would
question is the aluminum head just reducing the hot spots or actually costing
some thermal efficiency as mentioned, in which case hp loss. But again, how
much? I'll always give some small HP back to get rid of weight ;-)

One other
thought that I had, since the headers are close to the most exposed outer
surface of the cylinder heads how much heat might be absorbed from that? If
I'm trying to get rid of heat from convection would seem headers are going to
mess with that whole idea. But like I said in the grand scheme of things my
vote (IMO) goes with won't be a measurable difference if painted, polished or
raw.
Sandy
P.S. The Galpin event with Dan Gurney was pretty quiet, about as
many Saleen folks as Mustang'er. Still nice, and he was very acomadating with
the people that did show up.