[Tigers] Help!

To: tigers@autox.team.net (Tiger's List)
Subject: [Tigers] Help!
From: tym2@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:18:00 +0000
Tigers,

I have had an ongoing problem with my MK1A.
Some time ago, I did the car over an added a 5 speed and "built" 302.
The engine has Trick-Flow heads (I didn't paint them!), headers, Mallory
ignition, and a not too hairy cam.
I'm using an Edelbrock 289 Performer manifold with a Carter Competition 650cfm
carb.

Here's the problem:  I live in new England, and after the winter (especially)
the car doesn't run even - sometimes it won't idle at low rpm.  I have a friend
who is much better at the mechanical stuff than I am.  Yesterday, he removed
the bleeder screws from the base of the carb and blew them out with a little
compressed air while opening and closing the throttle.  It worked!

Evidently there is moisture somewhere and he thinks the throttle plates are
freezing.  Are there different manifold gaskets I can get to allow a little
heat to pass up there, - do I need some kind of base plate under the carb - or
what?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

--
Tym McDowell