Re: [Tigers] Taga Florio Tiger with bumpers

To: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Taga Florio Tiger with bumpers
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
I guess "to each his own."  I kind of like the modifications on the car you
refer to.  Not that I'd do it to mine, but it looks like whoever did the front
end work went to a fair amount of trouble to finish off the "bumperettes,"
retain the horizontal part of the normal grille trim and maintain a "vintage
race" look.  If the car was a 356 Porsche, it would fall in the "Outlaw" class:
minor modifications to the owner's liking.

One thing I've always liked about Tigers (we still have a Mark 1 purchased in
1979 and a Mark II purchased in 1979) is that modifications have not generally
been so "taboo" as with some other collector cars.  Unfortunately, as the price
of Tigers escalates, it seems more and more attention is being paid to the
minutia (e.g. where can I buy "correct" hose clamps).

The Tiger definitely has "hot rod" roots (or Rootes if you prefer) and I
appreciate the modified ones as much as the stock versions.   JMO.

Bill
Grand Rapids, MI

Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Check out Ebay Item number:
180256255791.  Its a 66 Tiger Mk 1A with front end
"customizing" reminiscent of the Targa Florio Tiger with chrome bumperettes.
Not my cup of tea and in my view, pretty ugly.  I guess the owner wanted to
maximize air flow to his radiator at the expense of a good looking car.

                                                     Jeff
You are subscribed as fordlandia@sbcglobal.net