Re: [Tigers] Had to abort the drive to Big Bear :>(

To: "'Duke Samouce'" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Had to abort the drive to Big Bear :>(
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:22:39 -0400
Duke
        It is normal for the carb to percolate; I'm not sure about the
filter, mine is a steel canister at the engine.   If you have one of those
clear fuel filters with the replaceable elements; get rid of it.  A friend
of mine had one of those burst on his 68 Mustang; fortunately the engine was
cold.  Apparently the clear section does not heat cycle well over time.   I
have one on my Tiger but it is before the fuel pump and is not subjected to
high heat.  I also had that filter clog up with paint flakes at the inlet,
the flakes never got to the white filter section so I did not see the
problem until I took everything apart.

        I would also make sure that there is not a vacuum forming in the
fuel tanks; this is a vented system and the pump will not work against a
vacuum.   There is a vent hole at the bottom of the fuel cap; you must be
able to suck air through it or a vacuum will form.

        As with any problem; never assume anything until you have checked it
out thoroughly.

Ron Fraser