Re: [Tigers] "Self-Adjusting" rear brakes

To: Tiger List Serve <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "Self-Adjusting" rear brakes
From: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:07:16 -0400
Last week I posted a question about my apparently "self-adjusting rear
brakes" .  Actually, I was joking about the self-adjusters as my car is
a Mk-1A which has manual adjusters.  Thanks to everyone who responded,
as the variety of responses helped me zero in on the problem.  As Ron
Fraser so astutely observed, it would be strange for the adjusters to
vibrate in the "tightening" direction, so I immediately suspected that
was not the problem.  A few folks mentioned a possible sticking booster,
but mine was recently rebuilt and my front brakes were not sticking, so
I figured that was not it either.  As it turns out, Jeffrey Nichols
nailed the problem.  When I rebuilt all of the brakes, I replaced pretty
much everything except a couple of the hard lines and one flex line.
The one from the car to the rear axle.  That flex line was very old
(likely original) and looked perfectly good on the outside.  However,
inside, the rubber had broken down and swelled shut.  The brake system
was forceful enough to push fluid to the rear brake cylinders, but it
could not flow back after the brakes were released.  I put on a new line
and that did it!  Thanks Jeff.  I figured the end result might be
informative for others.

Thanks- Randy

--

Randy Smith