[Tigers] Sticking brakes

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Sticking brakes
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:03:08 EDT
I noticed today that my driver side rear brake was sticking so bad  that when
the car was jacked up I couldn't turn the wheel.  The passenger  side rear
and both fronts turned freely.
I figured the hand brake was hanging up.  I turned the  adjuster all the way
out and disconnected the hand brake at the wheel and pushed  the lever on the
brake all the way in.  The wheel still wouldn't  turn.
I opened the bleeder and drained about 1/2 ounce and then could  just turn
the wheel a little, but still really hung up. I took the wheel and  drum off,
moved everything around and nothing seemed to be binding.  When I  took the
shoes off I squeezed the cylinder plunger rod in about 1/2" with  pliers.
Cleaned
the adjuster  and put anit-sieze on it and put  it back together and it turns
as it should.
Since the passenger side rear is okay I know it can't be a swollen  rubber
hose. I doubt it's contamination in the line.  I changed the fluid a  few weeks
back and it was clean and everything bled the way that it should.
So the question is can the brake cylinder itself hang up  internally?  Will
it hang up again the next time I apply the brakes?
Mark

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)