Re: [Tigers] Lower rad hose sucking shut

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Lower rad hose sucking shut
From: <gharlowe@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:38:57 -0400
I had posed the same question about lower radiator hoses to the list in the
February timeframe and got a few additional responses from some very
resourceful listers (compiled below).  I wasn't able to find the part number
mentioned below at the rainbird site, but a little more digging may be
required.

http://store.rainbird.com

I was also told the hose would suck shut if you're not running a thermostat.

Hope it helps...

Graham Harlowe
B382001466

For some reason, some hose suppliers have quit supplying the springs in
lower hoses, probably some low cost un-American supplier. I found that a
"Rainbird" impulse lawn sprinkler has a stainless spring that works great to
keep the lower hose from collapsing as the RPM goes up.  Since I replace
these sprinklers in my lawn regularly, they don't cost me anything but you
can buy a sprinkler head for about $16.00 and it's worth it just to find a
spring. I have given several away to those who wonder why their car suddenly
starts to overheat as they speed up, and solved their problem.

These springs are available directly from Rainbird.  I ordered the part
containing the spring from them just to see if it is possible. The part
number is 202415, it costs $12.40.  You get more than you need, because the
part included the housing, guide sleeve and friction collars.   Once the
spring is removed, it fits in the lower hose perfectly, just like it was
made for it.  With shipping, the cost comes to just about what the whole
sprinkler cost at your local hardware store.