[Tigers] Pushrod length

To: <tiger@missiongranite.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Pushrod length
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 02:32:55 -0400
Alan,

Pushrod length should be checked every time components are modified. The
issue I just went through was installing a set of GT40P heads (Refitted
with Chevy valves as I came to understand) on my sons Mustang and the
Pushrods had to be custom made .250 inch SHORTER in order to correct the
valve train geometry despite all of the other components being
relatively stock replacement items. I am pretty sure I go through this
in the Lunati Stroker buildup on Tigers United but the quick method to
confirm correct length is NOT using math. Test assemble the components
and use a previously crushed Head gasket or add .040 for the thickness
after the fact to pushrod length (way better to use the gasket or do it
during final assembly). Install a SOLID lifter (borrow or make one by
welding the plunger with a Mig welder) and paint the end of the valve
with a sharpie and install an adjustable length pushrod and rocker
assembly with zero lash. Wind the engine over 2 times and then
disassemble and observe where the eighth inch wide band of wear is if it
is in the center you lucked out. If it is off adjust the length longer
or shorter and repeat the process re-coloring the tip of the valve until
the band is exactly in the center of the tip. To maximize wear and valve
rotation (if you have rotators) you do not want to edge load the valve
tip.

On my sons car simply swapping one set of Roller rockers for a new set
of another brand required a .050 length change to correct the geometry.
We (I) decided to use the old rockers. Ironically both sets were 1.6
ratio but resulted in VERY different pushrod lengths.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak

Services Consultant

Akzo Nobel Coatings, Inc.

23961 Via El Rocio

Mission Viejo,  CA 92691

PH: 949-305-5393

Cell: 949-289-3357

FX: 425-955-6268

Email: timothy.ronak@crna.akzonobel.com
<mailto:timothy.ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>

Personal Email: timronak@cox.net <mailto:timronak@cox.net>

If you received this message in error please inform the sender and
delete the message.