Re: [Tigers] loose rear hubs

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] loose rear hubs
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:29:38 -0700
Owain,
  I just looked at my hub/nut and my spare axle.  This is what I have come
up with:

Are you sure that the nut is actually tightening the hub?  Which leads to:

 Is the nut running out of threads (hitting the axle taper) before the hub
is tight?
There is a washer between the nut and hub. Maybe someone turned the face of
the hub to true it up (like in damaging it to get the thing off).  Maybe you
can try two washers???

Is the key sticking out, wedging and the nut is tightening against the key
and not the hub?

Theo is right, the taper alone should hold the hub.  I remember when I was a
student at L.A. Trade Tech a skinny student "tapped" a tapered piece into
the horizontal mill.  It took all the force the instructor could muster to
get it out - after many tries.

Tom

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send
plain text.]
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
AM