Re: [Tigers] Tigers and Jeep parts?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers and Jeep parts?
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:47:56 -0700
Hi Cullen,
  I recall looking at the postal Jeep rearends a number of years ago. My
Tiger had water in the rearend, shot bearings and a rather sad set of gears.
My recollection was:
The postal Jeep rearend was too wide
The spring perches were on top of, rather than under the axle tube
It had a 5 lug bolt pattern
The ratios were for the 15" tire I believe they had (mid to high 3:00's)

There is one Jeep item I would like for my Tiger. It is their T-178
(1980-1986) version of the Toploader. It has 3.01, 2.08, 1.47, 1.00 ratios.
Running these gears with tall rear tires (for getting to events) would give
an equivalent of a wide ratio first gear and an overdrive equivalent in
fourth gear. Basically it is a "wider" ratio that the standard wide ratio
trans, but does not have the large spread between 2nd and 3rd like
undesirable the Ford overdrive Toploaders. 8 years and still looking.
Tom

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send
plain text.]
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
7:54 AM