Re: [Tigers] Brake light switch

To: "'Cliff Alexander'" <mk1a67@gmail.com>, "'Tiger List'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake light switch
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:23:16 -0500
Cliff
        This is a common problem with hydraulic brake switches.  I went to
an electrical switch at the brake pedal for the safety factor and I also
need it for the cruise control I put into My Tiger.

        I'm using a brake light switch from a 1991 Ford Escort.   The switch
has too much internal spring force on the button which will over power the
spring on the brake pedal and make the switch be ON all the time.   You can
carefully take the switch apart and remove 1 of the internal springs to make
it work correctly.

http://www.autozone.com/R,974262/vehicleId,1608002/initialAction,partProduct
Detail/store,2947/partType,00132/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

This switch is use on all Ford Escorts 1991 - 2002 and a number of other
vehicles including many Mazda vehicles; if you check on the Advance Auto web
site you will find a listing for all vehicle applications for the switch.
First pull up the individual switch then click the application list.

You will need to make your own bracket to mount this switch.  I also epoxied
a 1/2" diameter Plexiglas disc to the brake pedal so the switch button has a
good flat contact area to hit.  The wires for the brake lights are at the
left kick panel.
I put in a parallel circuit for the new switch.

Ron Fraser