[Tigers] FW: need some advice - non tiger

To: <TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: [Tigers] FW: need some advice - non tiger
From: "Jerry" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:26:08 -0600
Owain,

Helluva predicament to be in!

To get the small drill bit out, you might try diamond-tipped grinding
shanks. I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools - they are 1/8 inch in
diameter.  There are 20 to the package with various shapes on the end. You
use them in a Dremel tool. Use either a ball end or barrel end - just watch
the temp. so it doesn't get too hot. It'll be slow going, but may work. It's
about the only thing I can think of that will cut a drill bit.

If you are free handing the drilling, it will be very hard to keep the drill
dead center all the way out the other end of the bolt; however, if you could
actually drill it, then keep going up on the size until you get to the tap
size drill (either a 5mm or a #9 inch drill or a 13/64 drill). Carefully
clean out the threads, using a 6-1.00mm tap.

If you can weld a nut on the end, as Ron F. suggested, I would try to apply
a small piece of dry ice to the head to shrink the bolt just enough to
release it from the aluminum.  If done immediately after welding, this may
help in making the weld stronger because of "heat treating."  Otherwise, the
weld will be soft (annealed) and will snap off easily.

Another type of "cooling" would be to use a can of "freeze," used by the
"electronics guys."  This cooling has to be done immediately after the nut
is welded while still red hot.

Another way (and this one isn't what you want to hear) is to remove the head
and take it to a machine shop.

This is why it is always important to use anti-seize when bolting into
aluminum.

I hope some of this helps.  Good luck

Jerry Christopherson
9473187