Re: [Tigers] blower resistor

To: "Richard" <rcsphx@qwest.net>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] blower resistor
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:54:13 -0700
The resistor is doing what it's supposed to, and it will get pretty
toasty in the process. However, it should not be in the circuit at all
at the high fan speed, so if it gets warm when the fan is on high you
might have a wiring problem.

I forget offhand what the power rating and resistance of the fan
resistor is. If those values are printed on the resistor (if they
haven't been burned off) then you should measure the voltage across the
resistor when the fan is in the low speed setting and you can calculate
the power being dissipated as
P = V x V / R, where V is the voltage across the two resistor terminals
and R is the resistance in ohms. If P exceeds the resistor's rating you
can expect it to get VERY hot, but even if you're at half the rated
power it can get to 60+ degrees C (that would be 140+ Fahrenheit) and
you'll leave your fingerprints on the resistor if you touch it.

Cheers,
Theo