Re: [Tigers] Heater control valve/cable

To: "Steve Ralsten" <sralsten@ca.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Heater control valve/cable
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:34:13 -0600
Hey, Steve:

I spoke with Carroll about the heater control valve that he replaced on the
your Tiger.  He says he got it from Rick at SS and it is the one that is the
closest in appearance to the original piece.  The Rootes heater valve is no
longer available for the Mk1 and the control cables are no longer available
for any of the Tigers.  My car is a Mk1A so I don't have as much experience
with a Mk1 like yours but, if I remember correctly, I think the Mk1s have
heater control valves that are either similar to or are just like the ones
on big Healeys.  I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm
wrong about that.

Okay, first of all, there is no reason to remove the dash from the car just
to replace the cable.  In fact, without the dash and heater control slide in
place, you'll never know how long to make the cable.  Secondly, taking the
top four screws out off the dash facia will only loosen it on the top side.
There are more nuts across the bottom of the dash panel, which also hold the
lower dash roll on.  Believe me, you're going to be doing a lot of
unnecessary work if you take the dash out just to replace that cable.  My
advice is to just take your time and do it from under the dash.  If you need
more room to work, take the seat out so you can lay on your back on the
floor and get your hands up under the dash.

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
B9006857LRX