Re: [Tigers] steering column disassembly

To: "'James E. Pickard'" <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] steering column disassembly
From: "Jerry" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:38:23 -0600
Jim,

When I did mine many years ago, I followed the shop manual, I think if you
start taking it apart you'll see that it isn't all that complicated. The
thing I remember is the bottom bearing is a little "exposed" to the elements
and I did something to give a little more protection, but now as I sit here
I don't remember if I used a Teflon or felt "washer" on the end to help
foreign matter entering the bearing. However, whatever you do make sure you
use the highest temp. grease you can find (500 degrees or better) Because of
it's close proximity to the exhaust manifold (headers). Another quality is
high resistance to water.

Good luck

Jerry Christopherson