Re: [Tigers] Bent Tiger

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Bent Tiger
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:09:42 -0700
Dave, and Tigers,

Here in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" the CA State law requires approval
before a body shop can remove the VIN form a car.  They do issue this
approval to body shops, and require state inspection afterwards, for the
intent to prevent identification change for stolen cars, and other
ownership issues.

So, here at least, it can legally be done.  Never had the experience so
can't describe the details, but my "RED TOI" kit car used a VW chassis
and I was questioned about whether a VIN removal or swap needed CHP
approval.  Since, in those days, the VIN was stamped on the chassis (as
pre-war Fords were), and it was not necessary.   Even helped avoid later
emissions rules.  Hot rods were well known for cutting the "Serial
Number" off the old Ford Chassis, and welding it on the hot-rod chassis
for a very long time.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman