Re: [Tigers] Hardtop headliner installation

To: "sfranklin tds.net" <sfranklin@tds.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hardtop headliner installation
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Steve,

I got you beat: it took me over 20 years before I restored the hardtop for my
Mark II!

There is a metal strip about 1 1/4 inches wide and the width of the hardtop
(more or less straight in the center section, curved on each end) that the
headliner folds over, then it (the metal strip) is riveted to the hardtop.
I've attached a picture that shows the center section of the strip at the time
I was gluing the headliner to it.  In my experience installing the headliner,
getting that part "right" (positioning the material at the right point on the
metal strip before riveting) was the most demanding part of the process.

I have another hardtop and have that piece off the top... I could find it and
send a pic of the entire piece if you need it.  If you look at the front edge
of the hardtop (e.g. point where it meets up the the windshield top) you
should see the holes where the rivets go.  Hope you are not missing the piece
I am talking about.  If you are, you could probably make one.  Using my spare
as a guide, I could send you a paper template (tracing) of the strip.  Making
one out of 20 gauge sheet metal would not be a perfect duplicate, but I
believe it would work for the intended purpose.

Regards,

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI