Re: [Tigers] Turning lamps

To: <BEAU2EVE@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Turning lamps
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:34:22 -0600
I got a pair of molded rubber quarter-turn light sockets at Canadian
Tire. They fit the push-in bulbs and have two 6" wire leads coming out
the back. I drilled the hole in the light fixture out to 11/16 (I think)
and then filed two rectangular cutouts to suit the quarter-turn latch
mechanism.

Because this wiped out the rather iffy grounding arrangement used by
Lucas (is there any other?) I used a hose clamp to clamp a piece of 16
gauge wire to the cylindrical turn signal side of the light housing. I
covered it with RTV after snugging things up, to hopefully keep stuff
from corroding. Then I took the new ground wire, one of the two wires
coming from the fixture, and the ground lead for the headlight, put ring
lugs on them all, and attached them to the body seam that runs just
behind the outboard end of the grille opening.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0715803
This is pretty similar to the socket I used... It comes with four tabs
on the socket, and I didn't want to file four slots, so I cut off the
two tabs (180 degrees apart) that didn't have the stops on the end.

Theo