[Tigers] Rear Springs

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Rear Springs
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:09:32 -0400
Hello All:

As with a number of things I have noticed as I get older, the rear
springs on my Tiger seemed to have sagged a bit.  Since they are the
original springs, I thought I would replace them.  Fortunately, Jim
Armstrong had a set that he had decided not to use and offered them to
me at a reasonable price.  According to Jim, the springs came from Dale
A. by way of another party.  The weather here is beginning to get nice,
so the other day, I got under the Tiger and removed the old springs
without too much difficulty.  When I compared the old and new springs, I
noticed a difference between the two.  In the center of the leaves (at
the bottom of the U) is a pin which passes through the leaves, holds the
leaves together and projects above the leaves.  The projection fits into
a recess in the bottom of a flat area on the axle, where the spring is
clamped to the axle by the U-bolts and serves to locate the spring at
that point.  What I noticed is that the pin in the old spring is smaller
than the one in the new spring so that the pin on the new spring is too
large to fit into the recess on the bottom of the axle.  Has anyone else
encountered this and how did you handle the problem?  I think I can just
enlarge the recess at the bottom of the axle, but is that too obvious?
Was there a variation amongst cars in the size of the pin in the springs
or is it just another example of that old oxymoron, English Engineering?

Also, there is, as most of you know, a rubber rebound pad attached to
the springs near the forward end.  Does anyone know where I can obtain
replacements?  I looked quickly at the catalog for SS and didn't see
them listed.

Thanks in advance,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE