[Tigers] Hood Release Handle Question

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Tigers] Hood Release Handle Question
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 10:10:03 -0700
One of the "ears" broke off my plastic hood release pull handle in the
Tiger. It's the type with the metal bar, not the wire, that goes through
the firewall. It's the handle that says "Bonnet" on it in later cars
(Series V Alpines and maybe MK II Tigers?), but on mine, a MK1A,
there's no lettering on the handle.

I bought a used replacement assembly but figure it's only a matter of
time that it may break too if I install it.

Has anyone come up with a replacement handle that looks stock, or close
to it, made of metal? I'm thinking I could cut off what remains of the
plastic handle from the metal bar (It's held on with what looks to be a
tiny pop rivet of some type, or maybe just a small metal tab, or more
likely the handles were hot molded onto the bar with no provision to be
replaced normally). Then a metal replacement handle could be clamped on
in some way.

I have to give the hood release a pretty definite "yank" to open the
hood, so that's probably not "normal" and may be why the release handle
broke in the first place.

Thanks!
Steve Sage

Database version: 6.12300